Sunday, October 22, 2017

Dizzing Luscious Wool & Silk FIber

I few weeks ago, I purchased a nice bundle of mill end wool and  silk.  The eBay listing said it was clean, but needed to be carded.   It's actually carded pretty well.  Just letting it "breathe" and poof up, then al ittle dizzing seems to be all it needs to get it ready for spinning.

So what is dizzing, you ask?
It's where you pull the fiber through a small hole (I'm using a big coconut button this time) and do some pre-drafting into roving to make it easier to spin into yarn.   Think of the roving as kind of a fat loose snake of fiber.  Very easy to pull apart at this stage because it has no spin in it (That comes later at the spinning wheel).


See how those snakes of roving form once it's pulled through the button hole?


Push and pull ...

Push and pull ...

Push and pull.
This fiber has a beautiful luster and shine.  I am really looking forward to spinning it, and then eventually weaving with it.

When I have a goodly amount of newly-drafted roving, and it naturally breaks off, I wind it into a ball which keeps it nice and tidy, not tangled until I really am ready to spin it.


Sophie, my Newfie Fiber Hound looks on admiringly.  She loves chewing on bits of fiber.  Not quite the fiber hound I had in mind when I got her.  Just makes me love her all the more!  ;-)  I think she's so interested in it because I'm playing with it, so she should be able to do the same--in her doggie mind anyway.

Ok -- I couldn't resist this one.  I am a huge fan of The Goo Goo Dolls.
Here's Dizzy :



No comments: