Monday, January 22, 2018

Lone Star for Beginners



I signed up for the Luminous Lone Star class at Craftsy.  This is one of the first lessons (Lone Star Pillow Top), a small manageable project to get us used to working with inset seams.  I've been sewing nearly my whole lifetime, but still there are things I need to learn, and practice--like these inset seams.  I am amazed at how FLAT it all came out!   I expected bumps and buckles and protrusions, and lots of headaches--but it all worked out, following her instructions.  The key is to mark 1/4 inch from the edges for seam allowance  where you start sewing.  That leaves room for the opposite inset seam to lay flat.


The instructor also advocates the liberal use of spray starch--so I got to use my DIY Linen Water.  My recipe comes from Kay at Borderline Quilter who shared a great idea for making your own spray starch for pressing fabric.  It's so simple!  Just a little Vodka with tap water (or distilled water, if you prefer) in a spray bottle.  It works because vodka is made from potatoes.  Apparently, there's enough starch left in the distilled spirits to make it work in this distilled form.   Only Vodka will work.

DIY Linen Water
In a spray bottle, mix 2 capfuls of straight Vodka in 1-1/2 cups water (tap water works, but you could also used distilled).  [Sometimes I add a little green tea essential oil, which I have on hand for soap-making.]
 

For a heavier starch, mix 3-4 capfuls of straight Vodka with 1-1/2 cups water. Quilter's Moonshine (water with a little vodka).  

You could also look up recipes for Quilter's Moonshine.   This one actually includes starch.

This was a nice little project for an afternoon.  I used fabric left over from the iron caddy I made in November / December.  If I were to do it again, though, I think I'd mix the diamonds from the 2 stars.  The all-over patterns take over and the diamonds get lost.   The star looks "fatter" than it would if the diamonds had more definition on the inside.

I made a second one with fabric left over from the Shade Tree Quilt.   I think these will be stand-alone wall hangings, as I don't need more pillows hanging around the house.



Baby Steps!

This class and the practice is all in preparation for a BIG upcoming project :

The Radiance Quilt Kit from Keepsake Quilting.

Next year (2019), my husband and I will be celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary (seems longer--in a good way!).  A new quilt is the perfect way to mark the occasion.   This will be a new technique/style for me. And a definite challenge!  One step at a time.  ;-)

Yes, I'm starting to list the kits I buy to make myself accountable to actually making them sooner than later.  Stars seem to be the new theme ...

No comments: