Sunday, February 25, 2018

Scrap Abstracts

 Scrap Abstract #1



These card-making "sketch" layouts have been running across my feed on Pinterest in the last week.  Although card making is not my thing / medium, it occurred to me that these layouts were transferable to my world of fabric and stitch.  I didn't actually use the layouts as given, but it did get my mind thinking in terms of layering the elements.

Scrap Abstract #2
I was looking at my pile of scraps -- too big to throw out -- not really big enough to sew with ...  and I remembered a creativity warm-up that I learned about during The Creative Jumpstart Project a few years ago with Dina Wakely.   She recommends doing some "creative calisthenics" for 10 minutes to warm-up in your creative space, before you start your "real" projects.  Playing with color and shapes, and seeing what comes of it ...  That's what this reminds me of.

Scrap Abstract #3

I didn't want to invest a lot of time or effort in stitching these down, so I thought the easiest option wold be to glue-stick them into a sketchbook.  I suppose I could have turned them into fabric postcards, but again, I didn't want to take the time -- maybe someday I will take it to the next level.

So for now, I am enjoying playing with the colors and shapes to make these little abstracts.  Also reminds me of the waste-not-want not notebook/cards I started to use up paints, inks and wet media. 

1 comment:

The Idaho Beauty said...

What a great idea! These are really interesting and I can see how this could be a good way to work out ideas for a larger abstract design. Like sketching but with fabric. So yeah, they belong in your sketchbook. :-)