Sunday, February 18, 2018

Diamond-in-a Square 4-patch Posey Test Block


I worked up these 4-patch posey blocks about 10 years ago.  They've been sitting in a box with some of the finishing fabric ever since.  I think I was not happy with the traditional straight-on grid layout with sashing.  The blocks seemed kind of small, and I didn't want them to feel crowded in that grid.

The other day, I had an epiphany to enlarge and frame those old posey blocks with the diamond-in-a-square treatment.   I was finding tutorials about it, but the younger generation of quilters calls it "the economy block" -- I guess because you make the most of your fabric with very little waste.    Perhaps that was a response / backlash to a much more wasteful way to accomplish the same objective by sewing squares onto all 4 corners, then trimming off half that fabric to make the corner triangles -- I can see how that would seem wasteful.  I will admit that I used that method years ago on a storm-at-sea quilt, and it was a huge help to keep everything straight and true.

 Detail - 4-Patch Posey Diamond-within-a-Square

There are many tutorials out there for making the diamond-in-a square or economy block, like this one.  But only a few that help you make the size YOU want to make.    This Economy Quilt Block Tutorial Any Size tutorial from Melanie McNeil at Catbird Quilt Studio was the most helpful for me.  There is a formula for figuring our how big to cut your framing squares depending on the size of the original center.  But the numbers are so precise- down to 1/8th inch.  That doesn't leave a lot of room for the fudge factor.  Melanie's numbers are generous -- which I appreciate, making it easy to trim the finished blocks down to size, squaring them up in the process.  And her table made it easy for me to figure out what size I needed to cut my framing squares.   In my test block, I got perfect points, with a generous seam allowance.  That made me very happy!

For my own notes :
     Center Squares are about 4-3/4 inches
     Cut Black squares 4-1/4 inches
     Cut Pink Squares5-1/2 inches

Then I was trying to do the math to figure out how much fabric I'd need if I set these blocks on point, with an alternate block and setting triangles ...  which added up to 6 yards of fabric!  Hmmmh ...  That's a lot of fabric.  Just how big is this quilt going to be?

There were some very helpful web pages out there for figuring setting triangles, including some calculators like this one from Generations Quilt Patterns.  And after all that, I determined, I'd wind up with a monster-size quilt that would be bigger than a King.  No need to set these on point, and I don't need the extra space setting triangles would add. So, I can nix that idea.

1 comment:

The Idaho Beauty said...

What a lovely bit of fussy cutting. I haven't done anything like that for a long time, especially not working with simple squares as opposed to kaleidoscopes. But I do remember the satisfaction of creating a new design from just 4 squares cut just so.

Interesting to read about your search for instructions and finding those aids to dimensions.