Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Fascination with Circular Knitting Machines

Since last summer, I've been fascinated with circular knitting machines -- the mechanical kind. The really nice ones (and even the vintage / antique ones) are unbelievably expensive at around $1800 - $2000. Whoah! You can buy a lot of socks for that price!

Why am I so fascinated?  Look at how fast you can knit a pair of socks ...

Watch this 8-1/2 Minute Sock video, and you'll catch the bug, too.  Just the thought ob being able to knit an entire sock in just 8 minutes is incredible!




Here's another one - Sock Knitting Machine Demonstration -- easy enough for a kid to do for a school project!




Really interesting lecture, and it truly did feel like a college lecture ...  She starts off with a book review of The Enchantress of Numbers, historical fiction about Ada Lovelace, daughter of Lord Byron.  She is considered one of the mothers of modern computing and programming.  I just love hearing about women's history like this ...  Women who made a way when there was no way for them.

Fascinating history of these little machines, and their evolution.  Interesting to hear why there are so few of them out there today -- Turns out is has to do with WWI (There were lots of them as women were asked to make socks for soldiers in WWI to help prevent trench foot.  They were still popular during The Great Depression as a way for women to make a little extra money.  By the time WWII came around, many of them were being recalled for the metal.  They were melted down for the war effort.

Finally, she talks Jamie Mayfield of the Erlbacher Knitting Machine Company, where they make these little beauties to order.  Yes, they are still available, but very expensive ($1800 a pop).  


Yay for Yarn's You Tube playlist for using the Addi Circular Knitting Machine



I watched one of her videos and thought "Yes, I could do this."  They look good, and they look quick.  She's a good teacher, and explains things very well.   And the price of an Addi circular knitting machine is much more affordable than the classic old timey ones.  More like$100 vs. $2000!



I'm hoping to get one of these little Addi Express Professional Knitting Machines  for Christmas this year.  We'll see ...  My husband was just as fascinated watching the old-timey mechanical knitting machines work.  It is mesmerizing, and so cool to have a whole row done in 5 seconds.

Gramma Pickles used to have knitting machines, on which she would make sweaters for all of us.  I still have a few of her sweaters.   I made sure to put one of her sweaters on display at her funeral last fall--One that she was often photographed wearing.    ;-)

1 comment:

The Idaho Beauty said...

The knitting machines have always struck me as so fiddly and while fast, misses the point of why I knit. I'm not interested in speed as I just enjoy the rhythmic movement of needles and yarn and watching the pattern emerge as I work (much in the same way I enjoy hand quilting and hand embroidery and hand beading for that matter).

But if one struggled with learning to knit, I can see why this would appeal. If one really could speedily knit socks on that sock knitting machine, it makes the knitting of socks for soldiers make so much more sense than the visions I've always had. Plus I will admit, working in the round on multiple double pointed needles is not one of my favorite things to do!