Monday, December 10, 2018

"She's Doing It, Mr Noodle!" - Loom Knitting


When I was a kid and in 4-H, or learning with Gramma Pickles, I never did learn to knit.  Never got past the stage of unreasonably tight stitches, and finally gave it up in favor of crocheting and other pursuits.  Now that I've got this stash of yarn that I've spun myself over the years, I want to use it -- simple things like hats, fingerless mitts, or maybe even socks.  But a lot of the crochet patterns for fingerless mitts and socks look "funny," and so I've decided to finally bite the bullet and learn how to knit ...


Last year, I purchased access to a beginning knitting class at Craftsy, but never made the time to watch the video classes.  Still can't quite get over the hump of fear about using knitting needles and failing again--even after all these years and the gazillion other things I can do instead.

Enter the knitting loom.  It's called a loom, so right away I'm pretty sure I can work with it!  Last year, I bought a couple of these cheap looms to get started.  Only a minor investment if it doesn't work out.




This morning, I watched this video, and followed along -- except I did not do the color changes.  Pretty simple really.  And I am absolutely amazed at how nice my loom knit mitt is shaping up!  I was bracing myself for ugly, loose and gaping stitches, or too tight ...  But no!  It looks professionally done -- so far!    And for a first try, I am amazed at how well this is turning out.    I'll post pictures of the finished product.


Here's a look down the center of the hole, as the fabric grows down into the hole.    This is actually the right side up when using the knitting loom.  The pegs should be up.

I am using the following :

Boye - Small Round Loom with 24 pegs
Yarn : Yarn Bee Andes Alpaca Pearl (80% acrylic and 20% alpaca)

1 comment:

The Idaho Beauty said...

Well, that takes me back to my childhood. I don't remember where the idea came from but there was a fad for putting 4 finishing nails around the hole in a wooden spool and doing this same thing to produce a small tube that could be used for . . . well that was the problem. It was fun to work these up quickly with crochet thread and hook but a limited number of uses for the resulting cords. Had no idea you could buy big ones like these to really knit something.