Sunday, December 09, 2018

None More Black : Dyed Woolen Yarns



I got together with my friend Lynda last week to help her warp her big loom for making rugs.  While I was there, we also dyed a couple skeins of carpet warp wool with her jet black Jacquard acid dye.  She's got the "real" acid dyes and I knew we'd get consistent results with her powder.

The photo above is a cake of the Jacquard jet black yarn dyed with Lynda (on the left) and the Wilton's (broken) Black (right) that I dyed in the crock pot a few weeks ago.



It just doesn't seem right to call both of these black, but that's what I was going for.  I'll definitely do more of the "broken" black with Wilton's cake dye, as I do like the effect. 

If you've ever seen mocumentary film Spinal Tap, you'll recognize the title quote "None more black," where the band was looking at their new album cover - completely black, devoid of any color whatsoever.  "How much more black could it be?  The answer is 'None more black.'"   




No comments: