Saturday, December 15, 2018

The first one is the hardest ...



Last weekend, I worked all afternoon on stitching and stabilizing the applique flowers for the Morningstar Quilt.  From picking appropriate thread colors, to choosing a path around the objects, to 



The week before, I fused all the flower applique pieces to some black interfacing, and then cut around all the edges.  This helped to stabilize the pieces before I stitched the edges down.  Prior to that, they were glued (with a common school glue glue stick, like kids use) and fragile.



After some trial and error, I discovered that the tangarine / orange thread looked the nicest on the reds and purples  golds and oranges in the flowers.

I also learned that I needed to sew off the ends of the flower points.   If I tried to stop and pivot at those points, the point pulled up through the foot, and got crumbled up.  If I sewed off the edge, it stayed flat.  I was using the free-motion foot, but perhaps I could have chosen the foot with only a hole for the needle to pass through?

The non-stick oven sheet was very helpful for allowing the piece to slide around under the needle, and not get hung up in the uneven sewing table,


I also got one of the triangle pieces worked up, with all the vines and flowers glued / fused in place.   I cut some steam-a-seam into strips and pieced it around all those curves for the vines.     I still need to stitch it down.  Still thinking about what to use for stabilizer?  I want this to puff up a little like Trapunto, so maybe a piece of batting?  Or perhaps I should save that for the quilting stage?  Only 3 more triangles and 4 larger square corner pieces to go ...

There are so many things you need to know to make a quilt like this -- things that are not explained in the pattern.  Good thing I've been quilting for the last 15 years, and learned a lot of techniques through the years.  It all helps!

All that work -- and somewhere along the way, one of the smaller flowers got lost.  Can't find it anywhere --  Do I make a new one, and backtrack to do the threadwork again, or do I just wait it out, and see if it re-appears?

All that work today, and it feel like I didn't really get anything done.  I was sewing all afternoon, but don't feel like I have anything to show for it.  That's how I've felt the whole time working on these applique pieces.  This is the bottleneck stage of the project.  The putsy stuff.

1 comment:

The Idaho Beauty said...

Sounds like what I call grunt work, and yes, you just have to plow through it until you eventually get to a more inspiring part of the project. Eye on the prize! This will be so gorgeous when finished. And you WILL finish it.

Definitely know what you mean about patterns that assume you have more technical knowledge than you actually do. Or the designers are too lazy to take the time to spell out the steps. I always feel for the less experienced quilters who will think there is something wrong with them when they stumble through abbreviated directions.

I'd tend to wait for that lost flower to reappear. These stray pieces do tend to show up again, and in the least likely places. I have my own story of a lost leaf, fussy cut from limited fabric. I just knew I'd cut out the right number of them and yet, when I got ready to put them on, I was short one. After much searching, I had no other choice but to fussy piece together a replacement from what little fabric was left. I did eventually find that leaf but actually, long after I'd finished the quilt. So maybe you DON'T want to wait!