Monday, March 18, 2019

Dyeing Day : Spring Palette


I met my friend Lynda for a Spring Dyeing Day.  In her Dye Kitchen, we use large canning jars to create a double boiler system on the stove top.  We mix up the base colors and then play-play-play -- usually with no real rhyme or reason.  We often stick to our usual favorite color palettes.  Today, we were both working in green, blue and purple.   I really need to come with color combinations in mind -- I spend enough time on Pinterest, it would be easy to come with some color plans!

The process - no measurements.
A splash of vinegar - dump in some colors - stuff in some yarn - more colors - more dye - top it off with hot water.  Screw on the lids -don't worry about a little rust.  No measurements--just a guess as to what seems like it might be right.  Then we drop the jars into the hot water to simmer / double-boil for an hour or so.  When we come back, the dye has absorbed, and we can open the jars, spill them out into the sink to rinse with hot water.   Then they go into the washing machine for the SPIN CYCLE ONLY to wring out as much water as possible.  Then it's set out to dry.


For the largest hank - This is wool that Lynda had given me from The Amana Colony in Iowa.  I decided it was too big to break up into smaller hanks, so I left it whole.  We used a large pot for canning as the dye pot.  The first color I dumped in was purple, but that color completely disappeared before the end of the session.  In looking at the yarn, there's no trace of purple left.


3 smaller hanks each about 110 grams (or so).
2 of Fisherman's Wool (Greens and Blues).

1 (Lavender) of I Love This Wool.  The lavender came out more uniform than I would have liked.  I think I mixed it up too well -- I need to remember to just stuff and dump, and not disturb the dyes too much -- let them sit where they fall, so they can absorb into the closest fiber.   This one is so uniform, I might consider doing some additional processing on this one -- maybe that speckle technique where you dab color on with a plastic fork.

No comments: