Sunday, March 31, 2019

Speckled Socks on a Round Knitting Loom

I'm really very happy with the way this speckled yarn is knitting up on the CinDwood Knitted Knocker Loom.   This yarn has a nice spring to it, and is very soft 100% merino wool. 


It's the Marly Bird Chic Sheep Merino wool that I dyed with Wilton's Violet, expecting the violet to break into its component colors -- and it did!

Here's the view from the inside, looking down into the toe of the sock from the top of the loom.  Those strings are the remains of the Kitchener cast on, that will be cinched up shortly.

The purl side inside the sock feels softer than the knitted outside.   I am imagining it cushioning my feet some day ... Yes, Happy Feet!

Here's a detail shot of the outside / knitted side.  I love how those speckles are coming together, all pastel and soft for Spring!



I am following a tutorial video by Hypnotic Hysteria, demonstrating how to make a toe-up sock on a knitting loom.   She's left-handed, so I have to do a little transposing to get things to work for my brain.  [I am including the videos here for my own future reference, which will come in handy when I have to make Sock #2!  I may have to dye another ball of yarn to match!]





She begins with the Kitchener Cast-on, which feels like weaving (Yay!).  It looks kind of messy and chaotic, but it does stay orderly and  cinches up seamlessly to close the toe box.   In my mind, it's 100x easier than trying to close that seam with a needle one stitch at a time. 

1 comment:

The Idaho Beauty said...

Oh yes - that knits up very nicely. I feared it would have too much of a "baby item" feel, probably because of the many baby blankets I've crocheted over the years using Red Heart blue/pink//white variegated yarns. But no, this does not.