Sunday, March 10, 2019

Progress on the Morningstar Quilt

I got a late start on quilting the Star Quilt last Sunday.  I was procrastinating because last week, it seemed to give me a touch of tendonitis / carpal tunnel, and I was not wanting to repeat that.  Not sure why -- My hands and wrists are mostly flat / straight as I hold the quilt sandwich flat, and move it around under the needle. 

But once I sat down to it, things went better this week -- I think because the very center of the star is done now -- That's where fully half of the quilt (more than 50 inches of quilt sandwich plus safety pins) has to be bunched up in the throat of the machine.

[The colors are truest in this photo vs some of the others.]

Things I learned :
  • Warm up on a piece of scrap for the free-motion quilting.  It will be time well spent.  And I won't have to rip out stitches on the real thing.  
  • I've been using the Tangarine thread so far for the center of the star.  That seems to blend the best with the reds, golds, and purples.  Not the color I would have picked, but the color the quilt called for.  Listen to what the quilt wants you to do -- It will tell you--Just listen. 
  • Rotate the star clockwise, that way you are moving bulk out of the throat of the machine.
  • Use the Floating clamps to take the weight of the quilt.
  • This silk batting is very light.  So far, it seems similar to Hobbs 80/20 batts I like so much.  But lighter.  I am looking forward to seeing how it washes up. 

What am I doing with all of those basting safety pins?  As I stabilize / stitch an area, I pull the pins and toss them into this little cabbage pitcher.  I don't even bother to close them, as I'll just need to open them again the next time I need to baste a quilt, so it saves me a little time.   So much for "safefty" pins.   The pitcher reminds me of my old friend Sandy, who loved skunk cabbages in spring.  Once I even found a set of skunk cabbage salt and pepper shakers at an antique store, and gave them to her as a gift.  It was so her!


I was so enjoying the process today, and thinking about how easily this part is going now, I was even sad to think I'd be running out of diamonds in the star to stitch in a few weeks.  Not to worry-- I have several other quilt sandwiches waiting to be quilted. 

 

  

This weekend, I was able to move on to the purple / blue layer of the star.  
I am using a variegated blue thread for the stitching.   
I love the hand-drawn look, and am not at all bothered that it's not perfect.

It's very relaxing going freehand from point-to-point in all those diamonds.
Like a Zentangle meditation.  Did I say that already? 

It's easier now, working on the outer rings of the star.  But still I can only do it for a couple of hours at a time, as my neck and shoulders start to ache.

Time for a break!

3 comments:

The Idaho Beauty said...

I love that pitcher you toss your pins into. I keep mine in an Almond Rocha tin. It easily holds all the pins I have (and yes, I figured out long ago what a pointless act closing the pins was the next time I basted a quilt) and has that plastic lid that snaps on. I have just enough room for it by my machine so that it is right there ready as each pin comes out.

You are making good progress! It's always nice to get in a meditative rhythm . . .

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Do you give lessons?
--Joann Drake

Michele Matucheski said...

Sorry- JD. If I started teaching I wouldn't have time to do the things I love. Maybe after I retire, I'll have the time. But working full-time now, I relish my hobby time, and would not want to give it up to teach at this point in my life.