Sunday, September 13, 2020

Desert Blooms Double Slice Layer Cake Quilt Top

Desert Blooms Quilt Top

It's the same pattern as the Double Slice Layer Cake Quilt I did out of Christmas fabrics a few weeks ago.  It comes together fast. 

I was in the mood for another double slice layer cake quilt, I bought a 2nd layer cake called Sunset Blooms:

Plenty of contrast, colors, and varying prints with this set.  I hope it comes together well.

1 Layer Cake with 40 10-inch squares should be enough to make a twin-size quilt.  2 layer cakes would be enough for a queen-size quilt.  I don't need to go that big.

 


For reference, here is the Jenny Doan video tutorial explaining how to make this quick quilt.



Here it is on the design wall.  Some of the blocks changed places since this photo was taken.  I can see how that the upper left corner block is turned the wrong way.  

With it on the design wall, my heart sank.  Not my color pallet.  Too much yellow.  In the color mixing, it looks way too brown for my eyes.   I think I'm going to have to put this one away for a while.  Perhaps it will look better to me sometime in the future.   Then again,  this color combination will make someone's heart sing ...

Someday in future it will get borders and the finishing treatment.

1 comment:

The Idaho Beauty said...

What you choose for borders may make all the difference in how the colors in the pieced part look. And I can't believe I'm sharing this, but you might even be able to dye the top to alter those yellows and browns to something more to your liking. I heard this advice from someone who was suggesting it to make a quilt from that oh so brown era of the 80's more desirable. She showed how dipping said quilt in an a dark blue or indigo dye would perk it right up. Yes, I was duly horrified that anyone would suggest radically altering an old quilt in this way just because you weren't keen on brown, but as I've moved away from my own love affair with antique quilts full of brown fabrics (and the fabric stash it inspired) to the bright clear colors of batiks and hand-dyes, I have to admit it's a tempting idea for one of my own early scrap quilts that now bores me - lol But don't worry, I'd never do this to an actual antique quilt.