Friday, September 25, 2020

Autumn Tints - Farmer's Wife Block 2


Autumn Tints using the Tutorial by Hand Made Karma for the Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt.

I chose the colors this time in a scheme after The Shade Tree Quillt, 

which is on the bed now, so I see it every day.

Although when it came time to making the block, I couldn't find the leftover black fabric.  Did I use it up on some other project?  Maybe ... but I found something similar.   Then for the green, I used some other leftover green that was also close to what I had in mind.   No biggie.

Full disclosure: This block looks easy, and it should have been, but I think I made every mistake it was possible to make.  First time around I cut the blue squares at 3 inches instead of 3-1/2 inches.  Do over.   Then I sewed the 4 blocks together backwards.  Another do-over.  Finally got it, and trimmed it down, but I think it's lacking the seam allowance and may be too small for the final quilt.  

Lesson learned: Follow the directions, and don't assume I know what I'm doing just because I've been sewing for most of my life.  There's always something new to learn.

Maybe I should just plan on making a practice block, knowing I'll do something wrong before I get it right.  That is how experiential learners learn. ;-)

No comments: