Wednesday, September 09, 2020

Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt

Am I crazy for wanting to start this forever project?   Maybe I feel more of a kinship for this one since I grew up on a farm in north central Wisconsin.   I just ordered the original book.

 

I was inspired by Hand Made Karma's updated colors in their Farmer's Wife Quilt Along from a few year's ago.   The depression era drabs and browns in the original books don't so anything for me.  But when it's updated with Fossil Ferns or batiks or Stonehenge -- Wow! 

It looks a little easier than the Dear Jane or Dear Hannah quilts. Yes, I have that book, too, and never felt compelled to actually begin it.   

 

 

Gnome Angel offered 2 Quilt-Alongs with sampler block tutorials for Vol. 1 (1920s) and Vol. 2 (1930s).  [I absolutely love her Red Barn image above!]  She also curated bundles of fabric at The Fat Quarter Shop, though it looks like it is no longer available.  She also works with Marti Mitchell's tutorials and templates.  Marti Mitchel even did a set of template conversion charts for most of the blocks.  Gnome Angel has a really helpful blog post about getting started, which includes info about gathering supplies and choosing fabric.  I would probably do the foundation piecing and machine quilting method, but I don't have a working printer at the moment.

Maybe I've bitten off way more than I can chew here?

I certainly have enough scraps to give this ago ... but then, this could be a chance to add Fossil Ferns to my stash ... Looks like I might need to pick a consistent background fabric to help tie it all together, too.  Or do you just use white like shirting fabric?  So many choices -- and the book isn't even here yet!

No comments: