Saturday, July 09, 2022

Faux Ikat Scarf in Delphinium Blue is Complete

  

Faux Ikat Scarf in Delphinium Blue made in Zephyr Merino and Silk, hand-dyed with Wilton's Delphinium Blue.

Remember the epic weaving project from a few months ago?  The weaving part has been done for a few weeks already.  I finally cut it off the loom and did the finishing work on it -- sewing in the loose ends / broken / repaired strings, finishing the ends ... wet finishing.

 

Here it is fresh off the loom, with the measuring tape ribbons still attached.

I wove 72 inches on the loom, plus a little extra to keep as a sample at the end -- until I ran out of weft.

Instead of fringe, I added a satin binding.  I zigzagged the woven edges, and cut the fringe down to about 1 inch, then encased it in the satin binding.  It's a little stiff now, but as I rub my fingers on it, it will wear down and get soft (like when I was a kid).


 

Once the binding was managed, and a few broken/repair ends woven in, it was ready for wet finishing.

Simply let it sit in a bucket of room temp. water for an hour or so, then wring it out and pull off more water with a towel, and let it dry.

This was another reason for keeping the sample piece.  This way, I can really tell was a difference the wet finishing makes.  The finished scarf is "plumped up" and much softer.  While the sample piece is much more inhibited, shall we say? 

 

I absolutely LOVE how this turned out!  Especially the "broken" delphinium blue dyed warp.  And how the weave pattern shows through the dyed and un-dyed sections.

I even had enough left (after the planned 72 inches) to do a small sample that I can keep with the pattern and notes.  I can also compare how it looks compared to after the wet-finishing.


I think this photo was taken BEFORE wet finishing.  You can see it's a little more tightly bound here, not so fluffy as the photo above.  


Here are the other posts about this project:

Epic Spring Weaving Project Begins -- The Faux Ikat Scarf in Delphinium Blue (March 19)

Weaving Again: Pretty Warp for Faux Ikat Scarf (April 3)

Emerging ... on the Loom (April 9)

1 comment:

The Idaho Beauty said...

Soooo beautiful and different. How exciting to complete it and be so pleased with the results.