Sunday, February 12, 2023

Bright Idea - Set the Weaving Reed as a Ruler

 

I stumbled on a series of YouTube vids from The Curmudgeon Weaves, not realizing until later than he had been here in Oshkosh for the Echoes of the Past Trade Show back in February last year.  I spoke with the other weaver there, but missed him.    Maybe I'll catch him this year?

In this video, he demos a great idea for turning a reed into a measuring stick.  This seems like such an incredible no-brainer.  It's already measured out -- all you have to do is add colored yarn to mark the inches and 5-inch demarcations.  

I'm planning to do this will all my reeds now!

Here is my 12-dent reed which I'll be using for the epic Coverlet project coming up.
The red yarn marks the center of the reed.
White yarn marks each inch -- 12 slots per inch on a 12-dent reed.
Green yarn at the 5-inch mark.

This is how it looks seated in the beater.  It's subtle and practical.
 
I finished the next step in preparing to weave again ... Cut off the last project, and counted heddles for the Great Coverlet project.  Turns out, I have enough heddles, and did not have to buy any new ones.  
I only had to add a handful of heddles to each shaft.   Not as bad as I thought it might be ...

The next task will be to sley the reed with 2 thread per slot, but that is for some other weekend.

No comments: