Sunday, February 26, 2023

Woven Woolen Yardage: Blue and Green Diamond Twill

 

 

Blue and Green Diamond Twill - Wool

 

At long last, here is the blue and green diamond twill I was weaving in wool.  I finished weaving it a few weeks ago, but didn't want to take it off the loom until I had a new warp to put on ...  I finally did the wet finishing this weekend.

It's been very difficult to get a good photo of it.  I had to wait for daylight with actual sunlight, not just overcast gray skies.


It was 26 inches wide off the loom, BEFORE wet finishing. 

The photo above gives an idea of how thin the yarns were as I was weaving.  I'm not sure if it had some kind of stabilizer on it or not?  It was definitely all-natural wool yarn, complete with some vegetable matter straight from the farm.  Even now, there's a little grass left in it.

AFTER wet finishing, it is now 24-3/4 inches wide off the loom. and almost 3 yards long.


Now the threads have plumped up (fulled) and it feels much more lush, and is no longer see-through.

 

This is probably the truest representation of the colors.

I used fishing line along both selvedge edges to help give support for a straighter edge.  This worked VERY well, and I plan to use this technique in future.  The edges are nice and straight!  

The yellow threads above are what I used to separate the warp when I began weaving.  I haven't taken them out yet.

My original intention was to weave a diamond twill fabric to recover the seat on my weaving stool. However, I found some scraps of green velvet from another project that is working well enough on the stool.  At least I like the color better than the yellow velvet.   

I'll save this yardage for another suitable project ...

 







1 comment:

The Idaho Beauty said...

Love it - such a beautiful color combination and design.