Sunday, December 16, 2007

Embossed Velvet Snowflake Postcard

Post card is on the left (blue). The foam stamp is on the right (purple).

A few months ago, Conversations in Cloth worked on making our own stamps. The method I seemed to like the best was using the sticky-backed foam. It's easy to cut with scissors and is flexible. My own stash of foam does not contain the sticky-backed variety, so today I experimented with a couple different glues (I do NOT recommend Elmer's School Glue for this appliation).

The snowflake stamp was stuck down with Gem Tack (That's what I had on hand.) I had a little too much and it oozed out as I pressed the piece in place. I suspect it would work better to "paint" a thin layer of the glue onto the top foam. Then press it in place without the gobs oozing out the sides.

Here are the basic steps for making the above postcard :
Make the foam stamp

Lay stamp face up on ironing board.
Lay velvet face down over the satmp.
Spritz the back of the velvet with water.
Iron the back of the velvet.

The object is to make the nap of the velvet lay down where the stamp comes in contact with it. That's how you get the two tone, shimmery effect.

It's remarkably simple!

Finish the postcard in the usual way.

The velvet is from a bag of rags J. bought for me probably more than 10 years ago at Gromiko's Junk Shop. I made 4 Christmas stockings out of the remnants and have been saving the rest for just such a project as this!

After Christmas, I found out that my Unca Ray liked this velvet snowflake so much, he hung this postcard on his Christmas Tree. Aunt Rosita said that was the first Christmas card that's ever been hung on the tree! That is an honor!

No comments: