Sunday, December 12, 2010

The Rust Fairies Left Their Feathery Marks


I went down to my wet studio this am, and this is what I found ...
The Rust Fairies did their magic over the past few months!

I had an old dish pan with some rusty liquor in the bottom. I left it last September so the liquid could evaporate, and I could recycle the rust dust. I usually use vinegar and water to speed the process. This batch must have had some salt in the brine. I never dreamed it would leave such a pleasing pattern in the process!


Here's a close-up of the rusty frosty feathers.

Wouldn't it be cool if you could get these patterns to form on the fabric? How? I don't have the answers. I'm just wondering ...

1 comment:

Dreams can come true! said...

I love this wonderful surprise. Take lots of pictures and put the on fabric through your printer, try different fabrics organza and chessecloth or the lightweight luturdar, use different background colors, blues, orange, gold. Then dry to put a PFD fabric that is wetted with soda ash and lay it on the pan and see if it transfers.