Sunday, September 16, 2012

Beyond Layers Day 41 : Bride of Amazement


Back to flowers.    This lesson, Kim gave us a recipe to recreate RadLab's Rusty Cage Stylet.  I started out with  her steps and recommendations, but then this particular image took on it's own life ...

The above is framed in Picassa.   That inner gold frame really adds a lot to this image, but I couldn't figure out how to do it in PSE.

 Here's the original photo.  The Sweet Autumn Clematis is blooming and wafting in through the dining room window.  Mmmmmh!   So I picked some for a still life this morning.  
It smells like jasmine!



Here is the photo with the Day 41 recipe applied, plus 2 of Kim's textures.  I thought it still needed a frame, but I couldn't figure out how to add the thin inner gold frame.  Although that particular framing task seemed easier in Picassa, the text tool was more sophisticated in PSE (as one would expect).  I wanted to add Mary Oliver's name to give credit for the quote, but in a slightly smaller point size.  In Picassa, it appears that all the text had to be the very same point-size.

Here is the photo processing layer by layer :
Layer 1 : Background Layer
Layer 2 : Copy Background Layer
Layer 3 : Levels Adjustment
Layer 4 : Hue Saturation Adjustment
Layer 5 : Gausian Blur - Screen Blend Mode at 19%
(Here's where I veered off on my own ...)
Layer 6 : Kim Klassen's Chase Texture - Soft Light at 56%
Layer 7 : Kim Klassen's Peony Texture - Multiply at 47%
At this point, I went back to the initial Background Layer at the bottom of the stack, and used the Crop Tool to extend the canvas beyond the image.  I changed that background frame from white to black.
Layer 8 : Text - Mary Oliver Quote in Ruthie Font at 72 point in a gold color; Lighten blend mode at 100%
Layer 9 : Duplicate Layer 8

Cheers!


beyondlayers

No comments: