Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Frank and Holly's Gi-normous Quilt Top is Done!

It's done!  It took the last 3 Sundays to work up just the 9-inch borders!
It's so big, I can't even get a good picture of it.  I may have to wait until show-n-share at Quilt Camp next weekend.
 
Perfect Mitered Corners!
I decided the best treatment for the borders would be to miter them.

I sewed the borders all together OFF the larger quilt top.  It's so big, it's difficult to work with.  This tactic made it a lot easier to handle.  By my calculations, it was about 12 yards to go around this king-size quilt.  Much easier to do with shorter widths of fabric than trying to wrestle the whole quilt top with every round.

Inside view of mitered corners.
 
To my delight, this is the first time mitered corners have worked out for me!  I'd remembered seeing a demo in the Fons and Porter magazine a while back.  They explained it in a way that made sense for me.  So I tried it, and the first corner came out perfect!  So did the 2nd one, then the third. And I thought for sure the 4th one would be the problem child, but that one worked out, too!  After 40 years of sewing, I finally have mitered corners licked!

 Close-up shot of the 9-inch borders.
The pale purple and green borders are actually flanges that were folded and sewn in, so there's an added dimension there that will give the long-armer fits!

And my mom still has a lot of left-over fabric!

1 comment:

The Idaho Beauty said...

Beautiful miters! Really want to see a picture of this on the bed where it will reside.