Sunday, January 06, 2019

LittleThings

 First, a gorgeous image of frost from the guest room window back in February. 
The Frost Fariries were doing beautiful work that day!




My husband asked me to weave some place matts.  He got some quilted ones for Christmas instead.  Since I'm at the applique stage of the Morning Star Quilt project, I've been itching to SEW something -- and I have lots of blue scraps left over from my Sister's blue and orange quilt along with mom and dad's king-size 50th anniversary quilt.

I made a velvet scarf for my mom for Christmas.  She loves blue, and pretty things.  
The velvet is leftover from the Polar Bear Quilt.  



2 versions of Fingerless Mittens
The right (top) hand was done on the Addi Express Knitting Machine.
That's how I spent New Year's Day, getting to know the Addi's ins and outs.  
I'm working on a separate post to explain how I made the version on the Addi. 

The left (lower) hand was done on a manual knitting loom-- Slower work, but more precise, and nicer looking.  I think I'll definitely be doing more of that method.  Even took it on a plane trip earlier in December, proving it's portable and calming.     There are also multiple stitches you can do on the knitting looms--not just stockinette.  I have a whole new world to explore! 

Ok Sheila -- You win on the contemplative nature of knitting vs. the speedy machine knitting sucking all the joy out of it.  Slow work has value.


We've been making progress on the wool picker project.  The picker plates are sized and cut out. I worked up the drilling templates for the nails, and drilled them last weekend.  Yes-- I got 5 pounds of nails for Christmas so we could make this wool picker.  ;-)   More updates on that to come ...

Other than that, I'm feeling very frustrated in my quest to learn to knit with traditional knitting needles--even after watching the Craftsy Class online.  I've been spending countless hours on Pinterst, printing off patterns, only to realize most of them are wwaaayyy beyond my current ability / skill level.    Yup-- I want to make a lacey cowl, or patterned socks.    Sigh -- I bought aluminum needles -- maybe that was my first mistake, and why I hated it when I was a kid.  I was compelled to make the stitches so tight so as not to lose them--which is one of the issues with aluminum needles.  But apparently that's less of a problem with wood or acrylic needles.  Either way, I'm going back to the knitting looms for a while ...   I need to let the needle knitting sink in little more.  Although -- I feel better about reading charts now, and there are methods for translating needle knitting patterns to loom knitting.   Beyond that, I have a couple of friends who are accomplished knitters, and are willing to help me out ...  at least for mastering the basics.   Then there's the YouTube World, too.  Which had been just dandy for the loom knitting.  Or I could just go back to the tried and true crochet handwork.

It's good to learn new things, to remember what it's like to be an amateur ...  How long does it take to make those knitting stitches automatic?  You see those knitters going at it without even looking at what they are doing because they have such a feel for it.  I'm a long way from that.

 Let's end on a high (and calm) note with another Frost Texture photo.   Ahhh!

December Frost

1 comment:

The Idaho Beauty said...

Sorry to be so late in commenting but I had to laugh at your mention of me and contemplative knitting over "mechanized". Yes, slow has value, but on the other hand, you have two pair of fingerless gloves to wear while mine are still a ball of yarn paired with a pattern. ;-)

You may have already solved your slippery needle problem by now but you might look into bamboo needles if you haven't already. I know the problem with wanting to jump to those intermediate to advanced patterns but as in anything, it is better to start simple and build up your confidence and dexterity. If you work on something that is one row of knit and one row of purl, you will soon find that you too can speed along without looking at your work but every so often. Glad you have knitting friends on hand to help.

Love the placemats and scarf, lovely blues. Handsome husband, pretty mom.