Sunday, April 14, 2019

Speckled Sock Seeks Mate


I finally finished that sock on the CinDwood 56-peg 1/4 guage round knitting loom.

I followed Hypnotic Hysteria's instructions on this video:

It was much easier than I thought it would be.  The heel is made by exactly the same process as the toe.  And this time, I even figured out how to do the super-stretchy bind off.

I made the length of the foot about 1 inch too long.  It's really hard to tell what is the right length when it's on the loom, because it's a little stretched out and distorted.

 Detail of the heel and cuff.

I also changed the cuff to be K2 P2 instead of the K1 P1 that Hypnotic Hysteria recommends.  This gives it a nice stretch that you want in a cuff.

Detail of the toe box.
It's actually more even than it appears.  This was probably after I had tried it on for size.

Now to get started on the second one ...  I've already set up the Kitchener caston, and secured it with a round of knit stitches.  Now I'm beginning the toe box ...


There's a method of avoiding 2nd sock syndrome where you purchase 2 sets of needles (or in my case, a second knitting loom), so that you can work through each stage simultaneously.  That way, you don't have to start over from the beginning to make the 2nd sock.  You can just go back to the last stage.

Though -- since this one was a prototype, and I was just learning the process, it's probably ok NOT to make the second sock.  But I'm gonna do it anyway.  Maybe I'll make this one the right size for my own foot?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This turned out perfect! I am impressed.
Deb K.