Sunday, April 07, 2019

Yummy Purple Rain Gradient - Hand-Dyed Yarn


I was so enamored of the purple and blue rain speckled rain gradients from the last post that I decided to knit up a large sock blank (200 grams (2 balls) of Marly Bird Chic Sheep yarn) and roll it into an extra large doughnut/apple, using the same amount of dye and colors as the two separate doughnuts from the other day.  Same amount of yarn, just configured a differently.    All of it is loosely knitted into the blank this time, but I was still expecting a little more lavender blue towards the middle.


Deep Purple Color Mixing Recipe - using Wilton's Color Right Sytem
39 drops blue
6 drops pink
12 drops red
1 drop black


As it turned out, there is some lavender, but I'm perfectly happy with the way this turned out.

Time to start making socks on the little knitting looms!  I have a couple trips coming up for work, and those projects will keep me occupied while in transit.


 The extra large sock blank rolled into an extra large doughnut / apple.

Fresh out of the dye pot.

Unrolled, and still wet.  Nice variation in colors.

 Here it is on the Purl side.


If you'd like to follow the whole process, check out my previous post about it. 

Last week, I celebrated my 20th year at the same Library.  They let me pick something out of the anniversary catalog -- mostly it was exercise equipment and power tools.  But I did find a nice Waterford crystal yarn bowl!



1 comment:

The Idaho Beauty said...

Lovely yarn and fabulous bowl! Most people I suppose would not have a use for such a thing as that but to fill it with yarn? Brilliant!