Saturday, September 14, 2019

Black Cherry Yarn

Black Cherry Hand-dyed Yarn

Another batch of black cherry yarn, dyed on the stove top with Procion Dye, salt and vinegar.  This one came out plummier than the earlier batches because I did not add a splash of wine red this time.  Still lovely!  I used my favorite method of dying a loose ball of yarn held together in a net onion bag.

In the Dye Pot,
1-1/2 T salt
1/3 cup white vinegar (No soda ash, as you would normally use with Procion dye.  It can damage wool fiber, so we substitute vinegar and heat instead.)
Enough water to cover / submerge the balls of yarn,held together in a loose re-used onion bag (just to keep it from unraveling in the pot.

Heat this until it gets just ready to simmer.

For the dye concentrates, I mixed up
1 tsp Procion dye powder with
about 2 cups warm water.
1 put that in a plastic bottle with a tight-fitting cap, so I could shake it up until the dye powder was completely dissolved.

When the water is just ready to simmer, add the dye concentrate and the balls of yarn.
Let them simmer for about 1 hour.

Let cool, then rinse, and dry.  I can't wait to see this knit up!

No comments: