Saturday, September 14, 2019

Lost Wilton's Red Yarn Recovered

 Lost Red Recovered

I thought this yarn was a goner.  I'd dyed it a few months ago multiple times with a mix of Wilton Reds, but instead of a beautiful deep rich burgundy red, it came out rusty orange in color.An unexpected result, to say the least.



I kept trying to figure out what color I could use to over-dye it to not make it brown or black ...



 Sun-faded Wilton's Mixed Reds on wool yarn.
[Before the most recent and final dye bath.]



It's been sitting on the porch most of the summer.  I wanted to point out that the sun will fade yarn dyed with Wilton's icing dyes.   It did fade where the sun hit it the hardest day after day.  That said, I don't usually keep yarned items (socks, mittens, hats, scarves, etc.) in direct sunlight.  So for practical purposes, it's probably all right to keep using Wilton's.


Ta-dah!  Nice recovery!

Last week, I threw the rusty red in the dye pot with another batch of black cherry yarn.  I'd but the loose skein in an old sock to keep it together.  Unfortunately, when I pulled it out, the sock appeared to give it little too much resistance.  At the time, it looked like a lost cause.  Today I was going to wind it into a ball for even more processing, when I decided it actually looked nice in the ball.  So I'm going to keep it as is.  Red and plum.

Much happier now!

No comments: