Saturday, September 07, 2019

Watercolor Mugs

Watercolor Mugs

I've been wanting to do these Marbled / Water-colored Mugs for a while -- I kept seeing them on Pinterest, and thought it would be a good project with the kids when they came from Japan this summer.  But it didn't quite work out as Ailin never got to our house, and I didn't think Grappa and Gramma would appreciate the mess it would make.

So I did them alone in my basement wet studio where mess is invited and even expected!

They are made with nail polish swirled onto the surface of hot water in a tray wide enough to dip the mug in and pick up the color.  There's a definite technique.  Sometimes the nail polish dried all too fast or got clumpy on the mug.  So it was helpful to have some nail polish remover handy to start over, or touch up some spots.


The blue and green ones turned out pretty well.  The purple and red ones rubbed off when I hand washed them. Live and learn.  It was dollar store nail polish anyway.

 

I wasn't sure I liked the blue and green ones either, so I let them sit a week, brought them upstairs, and my boys both independently said they liked them.

I did go over these two with a coat of Modge Podge to seal in the polish for a while.

Ok, then -- These mugs into rotation!

No comments: