Sunday, September 22, 2019

Blue and Green Scarves Off the Loom and Finished


This is the No-Hassle Rayon Slub kit from The Yarn Barn of Kansas.  I decided that kits would be a good way to learn weaving, since then I could concentrate on warping and wefting without being worried about colors syncing or how long to run the warp, or even the weave structure.  More of those questions are already decided for you when you get a kit.  And the outcomes is more of a known quantity, too.


After cutting it off the loom, I knew I had some repair work to do. A couple of warp stings had broken in the process of weaving.  Although I repaired them as soon as I noticed them, there was still some repair work to be done, weaving in the new warp threads.  Not my favorite thing to do.  Although when I finally sit down to do it, it goes faster than I think it will.  It's not hard or complicated work.  Just takes a little patience.

After a few small repairs, it was time to take care of the fringe.  Hmmmmmh-- What I was doing wasn't quite working ...



Thank goodness you can just check the internet for a how-to video.  And I found this video at The Woolery to explain the right way to twist fringe.


I don't have one of those nifty little fringe twisters.  It's one of those over-priced tools I just can't bring myself to purchase.  We could make one, but the metal work has me a little freaked out ...    I did get one of these gadgets for less than $10 at Walmart.  Opening the clips at the ends was a little futsy, but it does the trick for my fringe-twisting needs. It looks like you can get them for even less on eBay now.



One of the cut strings on the edges was a little short, so I did those by hand.  It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.



Modelling the blue scarf.

Modelling the green scarf.
The weather has been overcast and gray for more than a week now (not that I mind at all), but it maes it hard to get true-to-color pictures -- especially of the green scarf.
It's much prettier in person.
 


They have a really nice drape -- as rayon is known for.  They really softened up after wet-finishing (basically washing) them, to allow the fibers to get more comfortable in their new positions.

1 comment:

The Idaho Beauty said...

These are gorgeous! Rayon can make for super scarves.