Thursday, May 27, 2021

More Weaving: Celtic Knot Warp-Faced Band

  For my first patterned band on the box loom, I chose a Celtic knot design. 



There's a 7-Pattern thread version in the Weaving Patterned Bands book by Susan J Foulkes.  This one is a much simpler than the 13 pattern threads below.   I plan to concentrate on the middle section, and won't make it so wide as a guitar strap with the extra borders.  




Although not strictly necessary, I purchased a double-holed rigid heddle from Harvest Looms in Latvia, as I thought it would facilitate making any of the 5-7-9 pattern threads from Susan Foulkes' book above.   It has extra slots for the pattern threads to help make them stand out easier for the pick-up technique.



I also purchased this exquisite shuttle made from plum wood.   Gorgeous, isn't it?


Here's some additional info and tutorials I consulted to make this Celtic Braid on the inkle loom.
Perhaps after I've mastered the 7=pattern thread version above, I'll try one of these more complicated versions?  The rest is just here for my own reference, filed away so I can find them when I want to revisit this in future.  ;-)  


I found this pattern online via The Curious Weaver, and decided this would be the first fancy pattern I wanted to try.   No cards with this one.  It's a pick-up pattern, but there were a couple of blog posts and videos to help me through it.

It looks like she uses a thicker yarn/thread for the pattern to help it stand out from the background.  It really helps to make it look 3-dimensional and textured.   One blogger suggested using multiple thinner threads (say 3 strands of size 10 crochet cotton), rather than just 1 strand.  


Celtic Knot Warp-Faced Band Weaving - Rigid Heddle Weaving

Pickup Weaving Techniques -  by Eve-the-Just


How-to: Basket Weave and Celtic Knot for the Inkle Loom - Crafty Girl's Spot
She uses a slightly different pattern.  There's more intertwining with this one.

Just for inspiration.  I love watching this woman turn the cards.  She knows what she's doing, and she makes it a nice meditation.  The board supports her cards -- They are not hanging in the air.  I love that well worn live-edge board!

1 comment:

The Idaho Beauty said...

Really like these band patterns.