Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Farmer's Wife Blocks - 93 Swallow - 95 Temperance Tree

 Block 95 - Temperance Tree
 
The last week of making Farmer's Wife blocks!  The pandemic project I started last September is nearly over -- at least the weekly block-making stage of it.   There is still the do-over set.  And then piecing the blocks together into a coherent top, and finishing the quilt.  There's a lot of project management to taking a quilt from start to finish.  

I was not looking forward to these 2 blocks (and I suspect that's why Hand Made Karma left them for last) because of all those half-square triangle blocks.  But once I sat down to do them, picked out the fabrics and began, it wasn't so bad. I'm getting pretty good at the HSTs, and because these blocks needed so many, they showed us the Magic 8 Method, which really helped to churn these puppies out in a hurry.  I picked three batik fabrics for the leaves: 1 green, 1 blue, and 1 blue green.  It wentfaster than I thought it would.

The hardest part of Temperance Tree was the tree trunk.  The measurements didn't quite fit what was required, so I wound up doing it again -- oversize, and then trimming it down to what the block needed. 
 
 
Block 93 - Swallow

 This one felt like one of those awkward dud-blocks. So I tried to rescue it with some really nice fabric.  This is nearly the last of the blue-green batik that I originally purchased for an iron caddy.  But I had so much left over, I made a cover for my Kindle, and a mask for the pandemic.   Also not much left of the viney background fabric either.  Only true scraps left now.  

For this one, too, I used the Magic 8 Method of churning out the HSTs.  It's fast.


Tutorials from Handmade Karma for Week 39

See Handmade Karma's full set of Farmer's Wife blocks and tutorials.

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Michele! What a journey and it has been so nice ride along! I love the temperance tree block! You get a gold star for your discipline in keeping up with this project! I can’t wait to see the finished project. Good work!
Deb K.