Saturday, May 08, 2021

Upcycled Blue Jeans Messenger Bag

Upcycled Denim Messenger Bag -Pockets on the Front Flap


Denim Messenger Bag -Open Flap showing the inside pocket

 Denim Messenger Bag - Back Side
This is where that inner pocket was supposed to be according to the pattern.

Denim Messenger Bag - Drop-in Lining, showing inner pockets.
I used more of the thrift store curtains I used for the denim backpack a few weeks ago. 


I'm still in the bag-making mode.  I caught this video on YouTube from Man Sewing with Amy Barickman from Indigo Junction:




Indygo Junction also has a $5 pattern that explains how to make these blue jean messenger bags.  It was helpful to hear her explain what to look for in thrift store jeans, and the best way to cut them apart to maximize the available yardage.  

From the video, basic supplies are:

  • 2 pair recycled blue jeans (She explains what to look for and the optimal size on the video)
  • 1/2 yard lining fabric
  • basic sewing supplies (scissors, thread, pins, sewing machine, chalk marker, etc.)

 

What I would do different next time:

If I were to re-make it for my own purposes I would not use denim on the back of the front flap, as it adds to the overall weight of the bag without adding any real pockets or storage capacity. I'd probably use more of the lining fabric instead.  Alternatively, I might turn it into a real pocket unto itself.

I also shortened up that front flap, as it seemed too big and floppy in my rendition, so I trimmed off 2 inches along the bottom.  No regrets there. 

I added pockets to the lining inside the bag.

As it came out, it's very narrow -- only 2 inches wide.  Even though you cut the gusset strip at 3 inches, by the time you sew 1/2-inch seams it really digs into the available space in terms of the depth of the bag.  I'm not planning to carry a big ol' laptop in this bag anyway.  

Another bag done! Hurray!

This might be it for my forays into upcycling denim jeans.  My sewing machine did very well with the backpack a few weeks ago, but has been protesting with some of the extra thicknesses.  So I think I'll go back to regular fabrics and quilting for a while.


No comments: