Thursday, May 06, 2021

Farmer's Wife Blocks - 89 Steps to the Altar - 90 Storm Signal - 91 Strawberry Basket

    Block 89 - Steps to the Altar

This week's blocks have the red and green in common.  The red bandana fabric is left over from the Summit Pack bag that I made last week.   Just a little splash of red makes a big statement.  

This one went faster than it looks like it might have.  I sewed 2 strips of white and green, then sub-cut the 2 block units.  That helps keep them straight and not so wonky as trying to sew together lots of tiny little 1-1/2 inch blocks.  Once they build themselves into 4-patches, it was easy to put the rest of it together. 

Block 90 - Storm Signal 

This one makes me think of trains -- Is that where they use these kinds of storm signals?

Not a bad block to put together, if you treat it essentially as a 9-patch.  I am getting very comfortable with the hourglass and half-square triangles.  I owe that comfort with the practice this project has given me. 

 


Block 91 - Strawberry Basket 

My first thought with this block was to make it a blueberry basket, instead of strawberries.  But since I had the red bandana fabric on hand, the red won out.  Again -- like the Steps to the Alter block above, this one was not that bad to make because of the strip piecing and subcut method.

We're in the home stretch now!  Just 2 more blocks to go!

 

Tutorials from Handmade Karma for Week 38  

See Handmade Karma's full set of Farmer's Wife blocks and tutorials. 

 

 

 

No comments: