Saturday, February 13, 2021

Farmer's Wife Blocks 38 Four Winds - 68 Postage Stamp - 106 Wild Rose Square

 

Block 68 - Postage Stamp

No paper piecing this week! Yeah!  Just a lot of little squares.  Tedious, but not unpleasant.  

On Friday after work, I needed a break, so I started picking bits and colors from the scrap pile and cutting them into 36 separate 1-1/2 inch squares for the postage stamp block.  It came together faster than you might think.  When it came to stitching it all together, I did it by chain piecing and then nesting seams to keep things reasonably square, and limit the wonk factor.  It went better than I thought it might.  ;-)

 

 

Block 106 - Wild Rose & Square

The hardest part was cutting the squares an odd-ball size: 1-11/16th inch.  When it came to trimming the HSTs, I finally cut a square to the correct size and used it as a template.  It was too hard to line up that odd-ball in-between (just a hair past 1-5/8) measurement on the ruler.  The template worked better for me in that respect.  

 

 
Block 38 - Four Winds

I will admit that when I saw this block, I considered skipping it.  Just "too many sh**n little pieces," as my Gramma would say.  But when you break it down, it's just squares and half-square triangles.  Tedious, but not impossible, and not unpleasant to work through.   But it took a while.  

The light blue and the purple were the abiding colors in the blocks this week.  No greens (not counting the postage stamp scrappy block).   

 

Tutorials from Handmade Karma for Week 22.

See Handmade Karma's full set of Farmer's Wife blocks and tutorials.

 

No comments: