Monday, February 01, 2021

Plans for The Red Barn Quilt #3 Redeaux

Lately, I've been using this blog as a "live journal" instead of my paper journals.   It's a place where I  can jot down some ideas and intentions for supplies and patterns or techniques, before I loose track of the materials and what I had in mind for them.

A few years ago, I made 2 Red Barn Quilts. My intention all along was to use a dark gray -- like oxidized/ weathered barn boards -- for the background color.  But at the time, I couldn't find any fabric that color, and people were encouraging me to use brown instead, even though I didn't know any barns that color, and neither did they!  So that's what came out ... subject to the materials at hand.

But it's been bothering me, and ever since I've been wanting to make the quilt I had intended all along ... with a slight twist in the pattern.

Ruby Days Jelly Roll by Wilmington Prints gives a wonderful selection of "barn reds" and textures.
 
 
 
This is a swatch of what I had in mind for the barn wood -- currently on order.
This is what I settled on to simulate weathered barn wood.   I have very specific memories of the barn on the farm where I grew up.  It was never red in my lifetime, but it might have been once ...
 
 

from Jenny Doan at The Missouri Star Quilt Company.

No comments: