Sunday, April 11, 2021

Farmer's Wife Blocks - 41 Friendship Star - 42 Fruit Basket - 45 Grape Basket


Block 41 - Friendship Star

No paper piecing this week.  Hurray!  Just lost of little half-square triangles.  This one was nice and simple -- Easy to do after work.  In fact, I might make up a few more of these, just because they are so satisfying to see come together.    I was able to mix the current color pallet on this one of blue, green, orange and purple.

 

Block 45 - Grape Basket

 Officially, this one is called "Grape Basket,"  but I'm going to refer to it as Blueberry Basket, due to my color choices.  And I like Blueberries. 

2 things about this block:  I did not make the 2 flying geese at the edges, instead opting for additional half-square triangles, since I was in that mode anyway.     

The other thing is that the "new" background fabric has these "spots" on it.  From the front side they are quite "showy."  The paint (or whatever they used to print the fabric) is thick, and the sewing machine needle has a tougher time getting through that -- like it sticks, or something.  I should probably be using a special needle (teflon?) for that fabric?  Anyway, I realized (after using the backside by mistake in some earlier blocks), that I could consciously CHOOSE to use the back side for the front of my blocks, and it would tone down the brightness and ferocity of those spots.    

Take a look at the background spots in the Friendship Star block above and compare it to the Grape Basket here.  Much more subdued and calming.   I like this much better.  ;-)

 

Block 42 - Fruit Basket

This one is very  similar to The Grape Basket.  The only difference is the foot of the basket.  For color choices, I went with the current pallet again, including some orange, purple blue and green.  I think that might be it for the oranges ...  

Only a few blocks left to go!

 

Tutorials from Handmade Karma for Week 34.

See Handmade Karma's full set of Farmer's Wife blocks and tutorials.

 

No comments: