Monday, April 05, 2021

Something Blue


 

Starting the Blue Circles Scarf

I finished weaving the green circles scarf -- No broken strings in a few weeks (Fingers crossed!) so I decided to keep going.  When I put the warp on months ago, the intention was to do 2 of these scarves.  Now that the warp is behaving -- or maybe I've learned to work with it -- I can continue.  ;-)

 The beads you see above as a space holder in the Schacht shuttles when using LeClerc bobbins.  It keeps the bobbin a little more stable, with less back and forth in the empty space.  I picked up that tip in one of the weaving groups on Facebook.  

I dyed this ball of yarn last week with the intention of making is a deeper purple.  I was being careful in not wanting it to turn fushia, So I only added Wilton's Royal Blue cake dye to the crock pot, with a little vinegar.  This gorgeous blue is the result.  I'm going with it ... ;-)

 

This is what I started with, hoping the blue would deepen the bluer tendencies in this purple.  The blue is not what I expected, but I'm happy with it.  ;-)

The yarn is Knit Picks Gloss Fingering at 70% merino and 30% silk.  Though I have to say, it's hard to tell it's got any silk.  It just doesn't shine like I would have expected.



 I filled enough bobbins for what I thought I might need for this project.  The blue yarn is at least twice as thick as the black used for warp and tabby.     Let's see how much warp is left?  Did I estimate the loom waste accurately?

And away we go!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my! I love your blue yarn! It is a beautiful color! Your weaving is amazing too! The sling bag turned out perfect and you finished so quickly. I admire your skills and discipline! -- Deb K.