Friday, April 02, 2021

Farmer's Wife Blocks - 26 Cut Glass Dish - 27 Darting Birds - 35 Flower Basket

 Block 26 - Cut Glass Dish 

You didn't think I was going to give up on the Farmer's Wife Blocks, did you?  There are only a few more weeks to go!  The end is in sight!

This week, lots of little pieces that warp out of shape as you work with it.  Not hard, just putsy.   I have to say I was not looking forward to these blocks, but once I started, it really wasn't so bad.   Got to pull in the whole color pallet this week: green, blue, purple, orange.  All those facets to sparkle and shine like cut glass! 


 

 Block 27 - Darting Birds 

Remarkably similar to the last block with so many half-square triangles.  I gave up trying to cut the squares to 7/8 inch.  I just go to the whole inch, and then trim things down to size after they've been sewn.  Otherwise things end up even wonkier or short.  

I considered changing the orientation of the 4 basic blocks -- all facing in or all facing out, but in the end, I went back to the recommended layout, otherwise, it wouldn't be darting birds, would it?


 Block 35 - Flower Basket 

The appliqued handle on the basket behaved a little better this time than previous baskets in the series.  

With these done, now I can play with making those sling bags!

 

Tutorials from Handmade Karma for Week 32.

See Handmade Karma's full set of Farmer's Wife blocks and tutorials.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Neat can't wait to see the finished product. -- The Drakes