Saturday, October 01, 2022

Blue Stroll Sock Yarn


Last weekend, I dyed another batch of sock yarn. 2 skeins of Stroll Fingering Sock Yarn from Knit Picks.  I wanted a slightly thinner yarn than the Chic Sheep merino I've been using.


I threw it in the crock pot with 1/4 cup vinegar and 1/2 tsp. Wilton's Regal Blue dye, and let it cook for a few hours, until all the dye had been taken up and the water ran clear.


When I unwrapped it, though, there was a little too much white showing through, so I stuffed the hanks into onion skin bags that would hold them loosely, but still allow the dye to penetrate a different rates, but still giving an overall all blue to the whole skein.   And threw them back into the dye pot with another 1/4 cup vinegar and 1/2 tsp Wilton's Royal Blue dye.



Ah!  This is more like what I was after.  Actually, I was after a more subtle blue varigation, like I get with the Chic Sheep, but I see now that depends on how they wind those balls of yarn at the factory.


 

 

Curious to see what this would look like all knitted up, I cranked a sample through my little Addi Knitting Machine.  Still a little more white than I was going for, but this will do! 

No comments: