Friday, October 14, 2022

Little Things: Scrap Flower Yo-yo Hat Pin

Scrap Flower Yo-Yo Hat Pin

Years ago, back when I sold my journals at a holiday craft sale, there was a lady across the aisle from me selling recycled wool mittens (The real thing!).  She took some of her scraps and had the grandchildren make some lovely hat pins like this one:

In addition to a pair of mittens that year, I bought this hat pin, which has been on my classic wool "house-is-cold" wool hat ever since.


 But back to today's hat:

 

Recently, I acquired a "new" winter hat that needed some embellishment -- So I was looking for You Tube tutorials that explain how to make these kinds of shabby chic flowers.  It's easier than I ever thought!

By the way, that bit of blue silk is a scrap left over from my wedding dress back in 1999.   The button is from my button stash. 

Here are a few videos and the ones I used as references:

From Little Hive: 7 Different Styles of Fabric Flowers.

I was planning to work through more than 1 style, but I was so happy with the layered yo-yo, that I stopped there.  ;-) 

The other videos, I'm listing here for safe-keeping, in case I do want to revisit these again in future.

 
 
 
 
As a quilter, I don't quite feel like I have the right stash for making these flowers.   Quilt fabric is a little heavy to put to these purposes.  I really like that satin knot flower above ... maybe in a rich green satin?
 

Yes-- I'm on a stay-vacation this week, so I have a little more time than usual to do and make.  I think I'm procrastinating on a larger quilt that is the real project I had planned to work on this week.  But here I am working on yo-yo flowers instead!


No comments: