Sunday, January 08, 2023

A Few of My Favorite Things: Scrappy Crumb Blocks


 Crazy Crumb Blocks

I took some time yesterday to make up a few blocks made entirely from my scrap pile.  I use a 5-inch foundation fabric to start with.  Then I pick a suitable starting fragment, and add scraps around it until the whole block is filled up.  Then I trim it back to the 5-inches.   I explained the process in this post about Scrap Management.   I think I have over 80 blocks now!  It may be time to start laying them out for a new quilt!

The beauty of these blocks is that I can tell you where else I used those bits of fabric.  That is what makes a scrap quilt to satisfying, sentimental and nostalgic. 

  • The blue jean patch and the light blue calico were left over from The Midnight Blues Backpack
  • The blue denim pinstripe was left over from a sling bag I made during the pandemic
  • The  hour glass centers were leftover from the Farmer's Wife Quilt
  • The green plaid gingham was salvaged from a beloved jumper I wore a lot in the 1990s
  • The apple blossom was leftover from potholders for France last year
  • A couple bits are from the Morning Star Quilt
  • The red-cream-green strip was leftover from the Rail Fence / Bookends quilt I made Mary Bayorgeon [See detail block at the end of this post.]
  • The blue-lilac-green-blue sequence is leftover from the borders on the gi-normous quilt I finished from my parents a few years ago
  • The oranges come from my sister's quilt
  • There are a few scraps from projects you haven't even seen yet because they are not yet finished enough to post here!

I will admit that it doesn't really seem to make a dent in the scrap pile, because I am always adding more to it.


 

 


No comments: