Monday, January 23, 2023

Cathedral Windows Quilt - A New Project and a New Tutorial

Cathedral Windows 2

After purchasing a couple of vintage and antique cathedral window quilts, I am inspired to give it another try.   I worked up some of the white foundation / background patches this weekend, and I've been cutting 2-1/2 inch squares from the scrap pile ...  We'll see how this test piece goes and just how big it grows!

I stumbled upon this video for making a Cathedral Windows Quilt (mostly) by machine.  It inspired me (along with my recent collectables)  to give it another try with some different techniques that I think will make it go a little easier and faster than my previous try at it.   Hers came out so nice, and I do have a lot of scraps around these days.  Although I am not planning a bed-size quilt, I may do a wall-hanging.

Although Cathedral Window Quilts traditionally have no batting, she did  stuff the windows with a little poly fill batting.  I thought that was a nice touch, and something I want to try.


Here's the small one I did years ago.  It still pleases me to see the patches of color -- I can tell you what projects each one came from.  

I don't have that kind of intimacy or past with the vintage Cathedral Window Quilts I purchased--although I have a healthy respect for the work, skill and materials used in those -- and the fact that I did NOT have to do all the work on them. 


No comments: