Saturday, January 01, 2011

Books I Bought in 2010


Beading on Fabric by Larkin van Horn
I was looking for a good bead book, and this is the one I settled on. Not only does she clearly explain each technique, she has drop-dead examples of her work. Some of the other bead books I've seen explain techniques well enough, but the inspiration sections didn't inspire me. This one did inspire!


Serendipity Quilts by Susan Carlson
I have long been a fan of Susan Carlson, so I has pleased to see that she published a new book in 2010. Her collage technique is one I want to try ...


Inspired to Quilt by Melanie Testa
I get as many art books from my local public library as I can, so I can take a good look at it. If I think it's worthwhile, I purchase my own copy. This was one of those books. She has a lot of really interesting techniques - like layering organza and stitching or cutting it away to change the look and feel of a piece. Many of the same techniques I've seen before in other books, but this book has some new perspectives ...


Art Cloth by Jane Dunnewold
Step by step techniques for creating the layers that go into an "Art Cloth." I've been experimenting with surface design techniques for a few years, now. The mystery to me is how to put them together (layer them) into a cohesive whole. I'm still stuck thinking, "It looks pretty good now. What if the next layer ruins it?" And I don't go further ... Maybe I'll be able to break through that road block in 2011?


Fabric Dyers Dictionary by Linda Johansen
I had great hopes for this book unlocking the secret dye recipes to a thousand different colors. I have to say I was disappointed in the photography. Instead of the colors on the fabric, I see the weave of the fabric that was dyed in these pictures. I think the photographer should have backed up some. It's supposed to be about the color. Anyway, the recipes are there ... I'll be doing some experimenting in 2011.


Color Shuffle by Karla Alexander
I've been interested in her "stack the deck" method of mixing color in her quilt blocks. There are a few quilts in here that I have my eye on ...


Fiberart Montage by Judith Montano
This book is sheer eye candy! I purchased it site unseen because I knew it would delicious! And it is! Not only do we get to see close-up pictures of Ms. Montano's creations, she also explains how she made them.


Threadwork Unravelled by Sarah Ann Smith
Always good to have a thread reference on hand. Not only does she discuss threads, tension, and needles, she also shares some free-motion quilting designs.


Workshop with Velda Neuman
This is a book I've had my eye on for a couple of years. It's out-of-print, and used copies were so expensive I couldn't purchase it until now. She has some wonderful techniques for adding texture to her quilts (see the one about texture added to cantaloupe rinds). She also has a section on fish. Someday, I'll make some fish, following her direction.

No comments: