Sunday, January 16, 2011

Dye Fractions



This weekend, I started putting together a new Dye Notebook, as recommended by Jane Dunnewold in her recently published book Art Cloth.

In this exercise, we're looking for the hidden colors in pre-mixed dyes. Basically, you tap a tiny bit of dye onto some damp fabric and let the colors separate. At present, I have about 50 colors in stock. You don't really think about a wine red actually having blue in it--but it's there. Or black having red and green in it. I know I could mix all these colors myself with red-yellow-blue, but I'm waiting for Vicki Welsh to write her book of dye recipes! (Hint! Hint!) It takes a lot of experimenting to get just the right colors, and sometimes purchasing a good pre-mixed green or purple is worth it!

This should be very useful for Snow Dyeing as it gives me a better idea of how the colors might break out and calibrate in the snow dye process.