Thursday, January 13, 2011

Everyday Inspiration : Paper Curl


This little paper curl peeled off of a letter I opened the other day. I noticed it on the floor right after I drew out this feather :


I picked up this little desk size dry-erase board at my local Staples office supply store for a whopping $3. It will be perfect for practicing quilting motifs like feathers. Also good for car trips--I can't sleep the whole time! I can't remember which one of you wonderful artful quilting bloggers shared the idea for a dry erase board, but I thank you for it!

Last fall, I signed up for an online quilt design class (Quilt Whispering) with Carla Barrett. It was a good class--Carla put a lot of effort into her lessons with photos and video. Unfortunately, I could not devote the time or attention required to get the most out of the class. ;-( Anyway, this little dry erase board would have been perfect for practicing feathers and motifs and lines. I felt like I was wasting paper practicing--even if it was scratch paper. With the dry-erase board, I can practice and erase the less-than-perfect feathers.

When I finally get the hang of it, and that motif becomes second nature, ingrained in muscle memory, I'll be ready to commit it to paper --or even stitch and fabric. If I do one on the dry erase board that I really like, I can always take a picture. ;-)

I've been following Leah Day's 365 Days of Free-Motion Quilting Designs. The dry-erase board will be perfect for practicing her free-motion designs ... or even just doodling or Zentangling.

No comments: