Saturday, January 01, 2011

Creative Cue : End ... and on to 2011


End of a Rope done with water color pencils.


Here's what my sketch looked like before I brushed it with water, and touched it up with a black pen. The water makes a big difference, doesn't it? I'd like to learn more/practice the brush strokes for desired effects. Maybe some watercolor books/classes are in order? I just keep hearing Bob Ross saying, "There's nothing you can do wrong that can't be fixed ... Pull down some happy trees ... happy clouds."

See other Creative Cues for End.

So here it is! The END of 52 weekly Creative Cues from 3 Creative Studios in 2010. I have enjoyed the weekly challenge and surprised myself with the discipline to do something for all 52 words--and some of them were truly challenging cues!

Since endings often coincide with new beginnings, the next question is : What's in store for 2011? There are a number of possibilities ...

* Find a new Creative Prompt outlet
AQ Creative Prompts Inspiration Page

* The Sketch Book Challenge
I'm going to keep tabs on this one, but have not committed to it yet. It looks like a wonderful way to learn new techniques, and see how other artists develop their ideas.

2011 Journal Quilt Challenge with Vicki Welsh at 3 Creative Studios
Vicki is leaving the themes, size, and how often wide open to anyone who wants to participate. She's committing to a weekly journal quilt. I'm thinking of doing in 1 x month. That means 12 journal quilts for 2011. That sounds totally do-able! I have some ideas in mind already .... ;-) That and the fact that Vicki will be giving away some of her hand-dyed fabric to participants. That was too good a prize to pass up!

3CS is also hosting a postcard challenge, and continuing the Technique-of-the-Month for 2011, as well as a Color Pallette Challenge (details yet to be revealed). Lots of opportunities to makes stuff, learn new things, and share.

I am also considering Lisa Walton's Online Beading Embellishment Class from Dyed and Gone to Heaven.
Lisa does some amazing and beautiful work! I'm just wondering if I'll be able to dedicate sufficient time and effort to get the most from this class at this time. Let's just say I was not able to "fully commit" myself to the online classes I took in 2010--unfortunately. I have until Jan 6 to decide ... Beading would be a good thing to do next to the warmth of the fire in the coldest months ...

Of course, then there are my other creative goals for 2011 :
1) Make that quilt for Unca Ray
2) The Olokun Quilt
3) Reds
4) Dyeing Projects - Dye Notebook
5) Technique experiments
Screen printing / Thermofax
Image Transfer

I have a head full of ideas for 2011!

3 comments:

Terri Stegmiller said...

Gosh Michele, I'm so proud of you for doing all the cues. I wish I could say the same for myself. I think one of my new year's goals is to be more committed. We'll see where that goes. Happy New Year and thanks so much for participating. One challenge you didn't list in your post is another new one that 3CS is doing and the information is coming out today or tomorrow about it...it is a Color Palette Challenge. Maybe you'll consider joining?

Karen S said...

I am so full of admiration that you did all the Creative Cues. So cool! Don't you just love those watercolor pencils? Have you tried Inktense?

I'm doing journal quilts -- one per month -- I think I'll try a new technique each month...

Jaye said...

Thanks for your link to my page. I really appreciate. I hope you will join in the Creative Prompt Project. Excellent work on the Creative Cues!