Monday, March 29, 2021

Sling Back Packs: Contemplating New Projects

 


On the hunt for the perfect bag, I kept seeing sling bags like this Wayfarer Sling Backpack (I bought the pattern) and this larger one from Life Sew Savory (See photo above).    So today's foray in the sewing room was to sift through the stash in search of the perfect combination of fabrics to make one or both of these bags in the coming weeks.  Don't be surprised if this also involves a trip to the local fabric/craft shops -- I'll need hardware, too!

Here are some possibilities pulled from my stash this afternoon:

Quilter's cotton and golden textured upholstery.
 (I liked the weave pattern, and thought I could duplicate it.)
This feels like a winning combination.  The fruitful harvest and the golden waves of wheat SING together.


Purple toned wool (picked up at St V) and a vibrant purple ultra-suede.


Another winning combination.  
The snowflakes and the purple are leftover from other quilt projects.
 

Denim, red bandana fabric and ticking for the lining. 
All left over from a different bag project.  Not sure I have enough of any one of these to finish a sling bag, so I might have to swap in some other denim or lining fabrics.
 
I have learned to keep the linings light in color, otherwise it's too easy to lose things in the dark recesses of a bag.

A pretty skirt that never did my figure any favors, but I loved the woven look of the fabric.

Faux leather picked up at St Vinny's.    Still need something for the lining.

So which one do I start with?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Michele! I love this pattern! You have some great combinations selected!
Love following all your projects! Hope all is well with you! Deb K

The Idaho Beauty said...

The zippers alone would scare me off! I like the last fabric from the skirt, not sure I like the faux leather though. The one with the purple ultrasuede and wool is maybe my favorite combo.

Michele Matucheski said...

Sheila-- Maybe I'm looking for a challenge with zippers! Back when I worked in a dress shop doing alterations (mostly for weddings), they made me the Zipper Queen while I was there. At the time, I was pretty good at them. There are some techniques that make zippers behave, and therefore easier than they could be. Let's see if I can remember!

The Idaho Beauty said...

That's an interesting peek into your past! I always struggled with attaching at the top of the zipper, seldom able to get the overlap consistent as I tried to work around the pull, even when I could manage to move it down the zipper before stitching that top part. I actually had pretty good luck with those "invisible" zippers though. The part on these bags that scare me away is working the zipper around that big curve. Good luck!