Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Utility Threads


A few weeks ago, I stopped at Nancy's Notions in Beaver Dam, WI, for some utility threads : black pre-wound bobbins. I was on a mission.

Thinner polyester for thread painting/free-motion embroidery.


Cotton for piecing and quilting.


I can use them in my Husqvarna Viking sewing machine if I pull off the paper side walls, first. They are wound so well, that they easily hold their shape without the paper side walls. I had no end of problems when I first tried using them as is--until my sewing machine maintenance person shared this little secret : Rip off those paper side walls. That was the key!

The pre-wound bobbins save me a lot of time and wear and tear on my machine--or at least that's my perception. I hate breaking stride to re-wind a bobbin in the middle of a project. A few years ago, I bought SuperBobs from the Superior Threads stand at the big quilt show in Chicago. Gray, cream, and black. Black is what I tend to run out of, so that's what I stocked up on.

More "Utility Threads:"


I realize a post about black bobbin threads is pretty darn dry, so I thought I'd throw up a little color ... Here are a couple pictures from my dye apron. Random color ...


Cheers!

No comments: