Sunday, April 06, 2014

Buttermilk Baby Soap


Buttermilk Baby Soap (made with real babies!)
Recipe from The Soap Queen

27 oz Olive Oil
5 oz Coconut Oil
8 oz Buttermilk
2.5 oz Carrot Baby Food (just carrots and water)
4.3 oz Lye (aka Sodium Hydroxide)

I wasn't quite sure how this one would turn out.  Even though I froze the buttermilk, it was more like slush when I added the lye.  The buttermilk appeared to curdle during the process.-- all those little bits of curdled milk--like cottage cheese.   Even after blending it,  I was worried it wouldn't hold together through the saponification process, but it seems to have come out fine.

For scent, I used a Sweet Olive Fragrance (Sweet Oleander) from Mystic Mountain Sage.  I probably should have used more, as most of the scent seems to have disappeared.

Next time, I will add the carrot puree for the color.

No comments: