Saturday, October 24, 2020

Farmer's Wife - Blocks 32 Farmer's Daughter - 61 Northern Lights - 67 Pine Tree

 


 Block 32, Farmer's Daughter

My favorite block in this week's set.  Although I did this one last because I was pretty sure all those sh***in little pieces were going to cause me major headaches.  

I was supposed to cut all the squares to 1-11/16th inches square.  I don't even have rulers that mark that out, so I opted to cut them 1-3/4 inches, and then stitched a little beyond the usual 1/4 inch.  Then I tried to press the seams in the opposite directions so that I could nest them when I put the rows together.  That works really well for sharp points.

Guess I've pretty much settled on my color scheme for this project.

 


Block 61, Northern Lights

For the life of me, I can't tell you how they came up with the name Northern Lights for this block.  It's like no northern lights I've ever seen.

I played with the orientation of the 4-patch blocks before sewing this one together. I wasn't sure if I wanted the blue or the green blocks running down the diagonal.  I finally settled on the blue.  These blues and greens are scraps from other quilts.  Still love the colors!

 


Block 67, Pine Tree

Lots of little pieces, although, I don't mind making the half-square triangles.

This was the first one I tackled this weekend. Minimal paper piecing with this one.  When it came to pressing, I realized I was probably man-handling these a little too much, and stretching them out of shape.

By the time I got to Farmer's Daughter (The block at the top), I was much  more gentle and thoughtful about pressing, and the little blocks kept their shape.  Hurray! 

With the colors, I was going for more of a winter night scene, than a traditional evergreen.   

 

Tutorials from Handmade Karma for Week 6.

See Handmade Karma's full set of Farmer's Wife blocks and tutorials. 

No comments: