Saturday, October 10, 2020

Farmer's Wife Blocks 6 Big Dipper and 10 Bow Tie


Farmer's Wife Block 6 - Big Dipper 
 
I really liked making this one: No paper piecing!  I
 used that method [Tutorial here] where you put 2 squares right sides together; Mark a line down the diagonal and then sew on either side of that line.  Then you cut on the line.  Open and press, then you do it again.  The nesting seams help make the points meet perfectly!  The only thing that went wrong on this block is that I made 2 of them.  I wrongly calculated I needed to start with 2 green and 2 blue squares to match 4 white.  Turns out I only needed 2 white squares and 1 each of green and blue.  No problem.  Now I have 2 of these blocks.

Tutorials from Handmade Karma for Week 1  [Yup, I'm doing them out of order].   See Handmade Karma's full set of Farmer's Wife blocks and tutorials.


Farmer's Wife Block 10 - Bow Tie

Nice and easy with paper piecing, though, I think it would have been just as easy using that method where you lay a smaller square in the corners, and sew on the diagonal, then trim off the excess and flip the new colored corner up. 

The only problem with this one is that it came out too small - at about 5 inches, not the usual 6-1/2 inches.  I'll have to revisit this one at some point ....  I'm pretty good about checking to make sure it prints 100%, not shrink to fit.  Maybe I'll just sew an extra border around it to make up the difference?

1 comment:

The Idaho Beauty said...

Yup, I'd border it myself. :-)